Saturday, April 2, 2011

Home, sweet home: Weekend pass to our house marks first time here since November

I'm home.
It could be my favourite sentence ever.
The good folks at G.F. Strong, including the ever-dapper Dr. K, agreed to let me head to our New Westminster residence for the weekend, before returning to the Vancouver facility for more physical rehab. It's the first time that I've been here since my T-2 vertebrae gave way on Nov. 28, starting my back surgery and rehab run.
I cried almost the entire car ride. (I gave up trying to be cool long ago. Luckily, Carol-Ann doesn't need me to be cool.)
I'm still not confident, or adept frankly, at navigating the stairs, so we're staying in the basement this weekend.
Last night, I slept in the same bed as Carol-Ann for the first time since Oct. 18. (When we got home from our first stint  at VGH, I was so much pain from the cancer that I was afraid to bump into her in the middle of the night, and I slept on the couch.) It obviously agreed with me, since we went to bid at 10 p.m. last night and I did get up until 10 a.m. today.
Carol-Ann and I both agreed that we'll keep this weekend pretty low key. Her folks were over last night, and my parents came by this afternoon, along with my Cancer Coach, Bif Naked. (Shameless name drop...can we have a CTTWH without a shameless name drop? I think not.)
My endurance is coming along, albeit slowly, and my balance is making baby steps forward every day. Still, there's loads to be positive about. My sits and stands (getting up and down on a mat without using your hands) were as smooth on Friday as they've been since this whole mishmash started. My walking feels more fluid than it did a week ago.
And, maybe most importantly, I got a good response from my radiation-oncologist, Dr. James Morris, this week. One of the dozen or so markers they got from me via blood tests was up slightly, although not into the danger numbers -- Dr. Morris said it wasn't significant enough to worry about now, but they would re-check it in a month.
By then, hopefully I'm much more accustomed to being at home.

PS Figaro, the family cat, has had her weepy eye attributed to eyelashes getting caught up in her eye. She get some kitty stitches this coming week in hopes to keep that from recurring.


  1. Steven, so good to hear this! I am rooting for you!

    Tammie O.

  2. Oh, man... my favourite entry so far... Love the name dropping. I mean, if I had a blog I'd being dropping Fig's name all over the place.

    And for the record... you are one of the coolest dudes I know.

    Love you lots,


  3. It is so nice to know you came home this weekend. The tears along the drive had to happen; you've been through so much since late November. When the time is right, I hope you and Carol-Ann get to take an extended vacation, far away from hospitals, tests and surgeries. For now, a staycation sounds pretty damn nice. I'm so glad you're home together.

  4. I found this blog via twitter and I am glad I did. I am a six year esophageal cancer survivor. I live in a small town near Kingston, On and had my surgery in Hamilton, On about 150 miles away. The surgery was extensive (second in difficulty only to transplant surgery). I spent 6 weeks recovering from the surgery at my Aunt's home and when my brother picked me up to return to my home I also cried all the way home. Finally he pulled over and asked me what was wrong. I told him that when I left I didnt know if I was ever comimg back. Additioanlly a lot of "what if" memories came flooding back.
    I wish you well and hope that the rest of your treatment and recovery is smooth and that you beat the beast.
    Good Luck
    Nancy Westacott