Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Radiation schedule times not always on our side

The schedule maker hasn't been overly kind to us this week.
Yes, I can sports-up just about anything.
My family and friends have been surprised that my radiation sessions aren't always at the same time every day. Today is at 3:10 p.m., for instance, while tomorrow is 3 p.m. and Friday is at 12:45 p.m.
It's hard to blame the B.C. Cancer Agency. Consider the moving parts they're dealing with.
We get our schedules on the Friday for the following week. We can put requests in Thursday for a particular time and the powers that be will try to make it happen, but they can't guarantee it.
I won't dare ask. We've gotten so many good breaks, so many bounces our way, that I'm not about to tempt fate. I'll gladly take one for the team.
Yes. No one gives 110 per cent to sports-up like I can.
We had a 2 p.m. Tuesday, with my uncle Big Al handling the driving, and I wasn't quite sure how to handle the morning. Watched a little TV, played some video games. It was a bland day.
Of course, it was a self-inflicted bland day. I had talked about going to the pool, but I was worried about my energy and told Big Al I didn't need any help until later on. Sure enough, my energy was back. My legs didn't feel as strong as the day before, but I have to remember that today is the three-week anniversary of the cancer diagnosis. I need to be patient.
The best part of the day probably? I've become pen pals with a guy named Gary. I don't know a ton about him -- he's a few years older than me, lives out in the Fraser Valley, he's battling some big-league stuff. We go back and forth about what we're dealing with via email, and on Tuesday he reported that he had a very positive check-up. It made me smile.
I also got some chuckles out of Carol-Ann gleefully watching some Professional Bull Riders tour event on the tube. There's still a lot of country girl in my girl. She actually knew the background of some of the bulls, along with the riders. Sorry...I just find it cool that's she's so not typical.
Today, Carol-Ann's dad Ron is taking me to the pool and to run some quick errands, and then my cousin Kristi Drinovz (Albert''s offspring) has the controls for the radiation ride. Hopefully, we get home in time to watch some of the Canuck game.
If not, I'm writing a nasty letter about scheduling.

No comments:

Post a Comment